Running a restaurant business is not everyone’s cup of tea. From the original business plan to implementing every tiny detail in reality, it takes careful planning and innovating methods to keep a track of your performance and returns. The hospitality industry is one of the toughest industries where only consistency will make people remember you. One contributing factor to this success is proper restaurant inventory management. It might be a mind-boggling task but it will save your business from landing in soup. Moreover, it is all the more easy with efficient restaurant POS software to help you out.
Let’s check a few ways on how you can manage your restaurant’s inventory effectively:
- Prepare Your Business for a Reliable Point of Sale Software: If you don’t have one already, it is time to integrate it and utilize its improved inventory record-keeping capabilities. Make sure everything that’s on your menu has been loaded into your point-of-sale and is recorded with the help of the restaurant POS software. You need to understand the minimum levels of each ingredient required and associate them with your suppliers. When there is a stock shortage, the software can alert you and push you in time to purchase order to replenish supplies.
- Develop a Standard Check Protocol: Though you can always utilize a POS for retail store to make things move quickly and let go of unnecessary labor, always adopt certain processes or steps to keep records of the inventory. Your customers are smart and may notice the restaurant constantly running out of ingredients, making substitutions, or just scratching items from the menu.
- Make Your Staff More Responsible: Appoint trustworthy people to handle your inventory. A restaurant POS software will definitely keep a record of every ingredient used and item sold but the eye of a trustworthy person over the whole stock management is crucial. Why just one? You can appoint two people so that you always know that if one is unavailable, your stock entry and depletion records are not suffering. Choose people who can consistently work hard and have sharp observation skills.
- Take Stocktake Very Personally: Maybe you are technologically inclined and your POS for retail store is ready for its first stocktake, always count it first yourself. If you have counted it just yesterday, count it again today and start from scratch. If your calculations during business closing yesterday and starting today match, pat yourself because it is great news. You should carefully update all the quantities and save changes accordingly.
- Know What’s Going to Waste: Most of the time, sales reports provide one with information regarding what is getting off the shelf. But what about what was never sold but is not there anymore? Don’t take this mystery lightly as it may lead to unaccounted losses you can’t make up for in the future. You should always know the reason for anything being discarded for better restaurant inventory management. For example, if some cooking ingredient has gone spoilt or some spices are out of date, you will know why they need to be thrown away. This will also help you know if you need better quality material or need to switch to a new material supplier.
- Take the Data Seriously: With the help of a restaurant POS software, you can obsess over data in real time, have a clearer idea of how your business operates, what every move is costing you, what you can save on and ultimately to experience how efficient you are in keeping things under control.
Following these regularly will keep you informed always and make your business reach new heights. You will have complete knowledge of what’s coming in, what’s going out, what is going in waste, who wastes and much more that will help you to avoid any confusion. It is a perfect process to take get involved more with your business. Imagine having a clear record of the inventory flow that starts from the delivery door, moving up to the dishes that are devoured by customers to all that which gets wasted. You’re not running your business just for a day, it is in for the long run with the investment of ideas, hard work, management skills, people and money behind it.
And as for a reliable restaurant POS software, don’t forget to reduce workload with Zopper Retail. Take a big spoonful of success with Zopper Retail POS that improves sales by reducing the transaction time and managing your restaurant business with its varied features. Besides restaurant inventory management, its incredible features will help you in numerous operations like table management, delivery management, recipe management, customer relationship management and help gain customer feedback.