Businesses today are teeming with complexities and sophistication. There are multiple departments handling various processes, thereby, ensuring smooth operation of each and everything. Helping these divisions are a plenitude of software and digital applications out there. However, the owners of many small businesses believe that these tools have been designed keeping in mind only the large enterprises. But this is not cent percent true. There is a slew of software and digital tools that are functional and helpful for both small and big enterprises. One such software is POS retail software. It is so designed that it fits all retail business.
But there are certain things that the owners of the small businesses need to keep in mind before purchasing or leveraging the power of a POS for retail store. Below, we have compiled a list that you should remember before you get your hands on a POS for your small retail business.
- Simplicity to Use: Though you need not have to be an IT professional or a computer geek to use a POS retail software but there are some POS systems that are quite sophisticated to use. As a retail business owner, you wouldn’t want your customers to wait while you tackle the complexities of the retail POS. Thus, it is necessary that you see the tool in action before you purchase it and install in your business premise. It is equally important that you invest a good amount of time in practicing and understanding the features of the software before you put the same to actual use. All in all, ensure that the software you choose has a user-friendly interface fused with an appealing design.
- Bug-Free: Because you do not want to invest in a POS software, you downloaded a retail management software for free. But are you sure it is safe to use such a software? Do you get any support in case the same crashes? There is quite a risk when one uses such a software which has no support and which is not reliable. Chances are that you may end up losing your data or even worse – dissatisfying all your customers. Thus, look for a POS for retail store that is free of bugs, crashes, any sort of malware.
- Compatibility: Perhaps you got this retail management software for free from somewhere or you invested on a POS that is quite cheap. But is it really compatible with your business? Does it have all the functionalities that are necessary for the smooth functioning of your small retail store? If the POS is not compatible, you’ll have to again go through the hassle of choosing the right software and getting it installed. Thus, it is recommended that you invest some time of yours in the trial version of the software to understand whether or not it’s a good match for your business operations.
- Scalability: This is one of the most important aspects that you, as the small retail business owner, need to keep in mind before purchasing POS for retail store. You never know when you may plan to scale up your business. But if your POS does not have scalable features, all your planning may land in vain. Right from enabling you to add more products/services to managing the extra inventory, your retail point-of-sale software should take care of each and everything.
- Management of Multiple Outlets: Though your operations are small in size but you do have a couple of outlets from where you interact and serve the customers. Rather than having different POS software in these stores, having one is quite convenient, manageable, and hassle-free. But it is necessary to ensure that you purchase a POS system that helps you manage multiple outlets with ease. With multiple store management functionality, you can get real-time updates on inventory and sales and take timely decisions. You can easily update prices, special offers, stock levels across your multiple store outlets and manage business remotely.
- Relationship Management: There are numerous ways through which a business can maintain a relationship with its customers and boost their loyalty. It can be done with promotional programs, purchase referral schemes, special offers, etc. Hence, before you go for a POS for retail store, make sure that it offers you all the essential relationship management features, as well as, functionalities. Let your POS reward the relationship that the customers have with your retail business.
- Multiple Payment Options: There are many POS software for small businesses that support only single payment option. However, today, while few hold a debit card, there are others who carry a credit card with them. Then there are those who wish to pay with their e-wallets. Thus, one can see that it is indispensable for a retail POS software to support multiple payment options. Keep this in mind as you look for a POS system.
- Easy Reporting: When you are done for the day and wish to figure out the sales and transaction of the day, it is quite important that the POS that you use have a reporting system. If not day, you can leverage the reporting system on a quarterly, half-yearly or yearly basis. But it is required on the POS software end that it furnishes you with a reporting feature that is simple and easy-to-understand.
To Sum Up
Still planning to go with a free retail management software? Then you are missing a lot of essential features and functionalities. Other than the aforementioned, there are many things that are essential to a POS system, for instance, barcode scanning, offline selling, inventory management, service slips, accounting integration, etc.
Zopper Retail – a leading and prominent name in the retail POS industry – offers retail POS software that is suitable for both small and large size businesses. Its specifications match all the above-mentioned parameters and it allows you to undertake a slew of other necessary activities that help in flourishing your retail business in the long run.